Sweet Potato & Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Cool off with our unique Sweet Potato & Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, featuring dark brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and black pepper!
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean; split (or 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (optional)
Steps to Prepare
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the cream along with the vanilla bean and brown sugar (stirring frequently) until the sugar is dissolved and the cream starts to gently bubble (do NOT boil).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks with about 1 cup of the hot cream until thoroughly mixed. Whisk back into the cream mixture and continue cooking (very low simmer) until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Drain Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes (removing any fibers) and puree in a power blender until smooth.
- Remove cream mixture from heat and take out vanilla bean (scraping the inside of pod to remove any vanilla paste). Whisk in sweet potato puree and spices.
- Transfer to a large glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in refrigerator for 3 hours before transferring to an ice cream machine. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacture directions.
Note: If you want a more orange colored ice cream, add a drop or two of food coloring to your eggs when whisking.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 3 hours
Freeze time: (about) 6 hours