Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Orange Frosting
Halloween is upon us and one dessert you will have to try, that is fun for all to make, is our deliciously spooky Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Orange Frosting and ghosts on top.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup soft, unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 (15 oz) can Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup; drained
- 1 (16 oz) tub vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 4-5 drops orange food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles
- Decorative Halloween paper cupcake liners
Steps to Prepare
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 24 count cupcake tin with white paper liners; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice).
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and orange juice.
- Smash sweet potatoes well and add to the mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds and beat until just incorporated.
- Fill prepared cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops spring back.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack before frosting. Place cupcakes in Halloween liners if desired and sprinkle with decoration.
Note: For the icing, mix the vanilla frosting with 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest and food coloring.