Orange Sweet Potato Breakfast Rolls
A deliciously different take on the traditional cinnamon roll! These sweet breakfast rolls feature a sweet potato dough with a whipped cream cheese filling and maple citrus icing.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted (unsalted) butter
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 (8 oz.) tub whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup vanilla sugar (or regular granulated sugar)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 2 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 tbs. reserved syrup from Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tbs. melted unsalted butter
Steps to Prepare
- In a large (wide) bowl, add the yeast and water; stir. When bubbles start to form, whisk in the salt, brown sugar, powdered buttermilk and melted butter.
- Drain Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes (reserving 2 tbs. syrup) and measure out 1 cup smashed sweet potatoes. Add to mixture along with pumpkin pie spice and mix well. Add flour (one cup at a time) and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a clean, greased bowl; rub a small amount of melted butter onto dough then cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm area until double in bulk (about 90 minutes). Punch down dough and transfer to a floured work surface and roll into a 14” by 20” rectangle.
- Spread cream cheese onto dough (leaving an inch boarder on all sides of dough) and sprinkle with sugar, pecans and raisins.
- Starting with the short end, roll up dough tightly into a log and pinch edge closed. Trim ends (discard) and cut log into 9 pinwheels (1-1/2” thick).
- Transfer pinwheels to a greased 9” by 11” baking pan and cover with tea towel. Allow to raise for a second time for 60 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 35-40 minutes until light golden brown.
- To make icing, stir together the powdered sugar, orange zest, maple syrup, sweet potato syrup and melted butter. When rolls have cooled for 10 minutes, spread icing onto the tops and allow the frosting to set for 30 minutes before serving.