Summertime calls for refreshing, lighter meals made with farm-fresh vegetables. And we've got just that! Cool off this summer with three new, light recipes featuring Bruce's Yams Sweet Potatoes.
Start your morning off with a cool and refreshing Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl, packed with fresh fruit, yogurt and sunflower seeds. We used a kiwi, banana, blueberries and golden raisins, but you can totally make it your own with whatever fruit you like. Best of all, this breakfast takes just 5 minutes to prepare!
For lunch or dinner, try our Sweet Potato Spring Rolls featuring lots of fresh vegetables, fresh lime juice and Chinese five spice powder all rolled up in delicate rice paper. These spring rolls are best served chilled with a spicy or sweet dipping sauce. We like sriracha!
And finally, end your perfect, summery day with a sweet treat. Try our Sweet Potato White Chocolate Truffles, made with smooth peanut butter, low sugar apricot jam and a touch of sea salt. Yum!
All of these recipes were created and tested by recipe developer and competitive chef Michaela Rosenthal. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl (pictured above)
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup; drained
- 1 (6 oz.) container non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. organic honey
- 1 kiwi fruit; peeled and sliced
- 1/2 banana; peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Place Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes, yogurt, orange juice and honey in a power blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a cereal or pasta bowl(s) and arrange kiwi, banana, blueberries, sunflower seeds and golden raisins over the top.
Yield: 1 large or 2 small smoothie bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Sweet Potato Spring Rolls
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 (2 oz.) package enoki mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 8 (round) spring roll wrappers (rice paper)
- Drain Bruce's Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes, and slightly smash. Set aside.
- Cut carrots into thin sticks and blanch in boiling water until soft; place in a bowl filled with iced water to cool; pat dry.
- Cut avocado into 16 slices and sprinkle with lime juice.
- Wash and trim the ends off the enoki mushrooms; pat dry.
- Divide all vegetables into 8 piles, and fill a glass pie dish half way with warm water.
- Using one wrapper at a time, place in water for 30 seconds until the rice paper has softened.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes (1/8 of the can for each spring roll) down the center of wrapper, leaving a 2 inch boarder all around the wrapper. Add the avocado and mushrooms then sprinkle with Chinese five spice.
- To fold, bring the top and bottom of wrapper over the ends of the vegetables then turn wrapper towards you and roll up tightly. Chill for 1 hour before cutting in half and serving.
Note: Other vegetables can be used. Bean sprouts, pea pods, radishes, etc.
Yield: 8 wrappers (16 pieces)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 60 minutes
Sweet Potato White Chocolate Truffles
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup; excess liquid pressed out and any potato fibers removed
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbs. low sugar apricot jam
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Place Bruce’s Yam Cut Sweet Potatoes in a power blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Add peanut butter, apricot jam, vanilla extract and salt; mix until just combined. Transfer to a bowl, cover with tin foil and freeze for 90 minutes (until firm, but still pliable).
- Using a small (1 teaspoon) ice cream scoop, form 14 balls, dipping scoop in water between each truffle ball.
- Place coconut oil and white chips in the microwave and heat 30 seconds. Stir and heat an additional 40 seconds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a spoon and a fork, dip sweet potatoes balls in the chocolate (working quickly as the cold balls with harden the chocolate immediately) and transfer to the parchment lined sheet. Store truffles in the refrigerator.
Note: Almond butter can be used in place of peanut butter, but not cashew butter as it is too soft.
Yield: 14 confections
Prep time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 90 minutes