Sweet Potato Marzipan Brunch Cake
If you're a fan of sweetened almond paste, you'll love our Sweet Potato Marzipan Brunch Cake. This loaf cake is made using freshly grated lemon zest and Bruce's Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes, and the marzipan gives this cake a creamy sweet middle.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 4 oz. marzipan (sweetened almond paste)
- 1 stick butter; cut into small pieces
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup; drained well
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
Steps to Prepare
- Heat oven to 350 Grease and flour a large (6 cup) loaf pan; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor (fitted w/ metal blade), chop marzipan and butter together until pea size pieces are visible.
- Transfer mixture to an electric mixer along with eggs, sugar and vanilla; mix until well combined (2-3 minutes). Whisk in Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup until batter is smooth.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined then add the almond flour. Batter should be on the thick side; if too thin, add 2-3 tablespoons more almond flour.
- Stir in lemon zest then transfer to the prepared cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes at 350F then turn oven down to 325F (do not open oven door) and bake for an addition 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest in cake pan for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack. This loaf cake is delicious served with whipped cream cheese!