Lucky Baked Sweet Potato Cake Donuts
Perfect for St. Patrick's Day but also a great everyday dessert! These Baked Sweet Potato Cake Donuts are light & airy, and feature a sweet vanilla frosting.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 1 (16.25 oz.) box classic yellow cake mix
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup reserved liquid from sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (from a 15 oz. can) Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup; drained and pureed
- 1 tbs. Greek plain yogurt
- 1 canister vanilla frosting
- 2 tbs. reserved liquid from sweet potatoes
- 1 tbs. milk
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- sprinkles for decoration
Steps to Prepare
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 6-count donut mold with non-stick bakers spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer beat together the cake mix, egg and egg yolk, vegetable oil, water and 1/4 cup sweet potato liquid until blended.
- Add the pureed Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes and yogurt; mix until just incorporated. If the batter seems a bit stiff, add a couple tablespoons more water.
- Fill the donut mold and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- To make frosting, stir together the frosting, 2 tablespoons sweet potato liquid, milk and food coloring. Frost donuts and sprinkle with sprinkles.
Note: These donuts are best eaten the same day.