Cibolero Venison Chili
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 3/4 pound chunked venison or beef
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 strips bacon; diced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 chopped Chipotle pepper, plus 2 tsp. Adobe sauce
- (from a 7 oz can Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce)
- 2/3 cup pureed (from a 15 oz can) Bruce’s Yams
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (25 oz can) white hominy; drained
- 2 (10 1/2 oz) cans Beef Consumme*
- 1/2 cup Mexican beer
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Queso Fresco cheese*
- freshly chopped cilantro
Steps to Prepare
- Place venison and flour in a large plastic bag and shake to coat.
- Remove meat from flour (discard) shaking off excess; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan fry bacon and onion for 3-4 minutes until bacon almost crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon (reserve) and return saucepan to medium-high heat along with corn oil. Fry venison cubes until lightly browned on all sides.
- Turn heat to low and stir in Chipotle, Adobo sauce, yams, vegetable juice and bacon/onions.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add crushed tomatoes, hominy, consumme and beer; simmer an additional 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey and orange juice.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro before serving.
*Beef Consumme is located in the soup isle (we like Campbell’s brand)
*Queso Fresco cheese is a crumbly Mexican cheese that can be found at most super markets
*Beef can be used on place of venison
Prep time: 5 minutes / Cook time: 55 minutes