Blackeye Pea & Sweet Potato Stuffing
A fun and delicious twist on the traditional stuffing side dish! Our Blackeye Pea & Sweet Potato Stuffing is both savory and sweet, and is ready in under an hour.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
- 3 tbs. butter, divided
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tbs. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 can Glory Foods Blackeye Peas, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can Bruce’s Yams Cut Sweet Potatoes in Syrup (do not drain)
- 2 (6 oz.) bags stuffing mix
- 1 6″ square corn bread, crumbled
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 4 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. coarse (Kosher) salt
Steps to Prepare
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large (high sided) skillet. Add onion and celery; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, white pepper, Glory Foods Blackeye Peas, and Bruce’s Yams Sweet Potatoes in Syrup.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the stuffing mix, cornbread, chicken broth and eggs. Add onion mixture to bowl and stir well to incorporate.
- Transfer to a 3 quart (9″x12″) buttered oven-proof casserole dish and smooth out.
- Melt remaining butter and drizzle over casserole, then sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F. and bake an additional 25 minutes.
*For a vegetarian version, use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.